IS IT TRUE WHAT THEY’RE SAYING ABOUT BEING A POLICE OFFICER?
For the last 17 years, I have heard thousands of question and even more suggestions on what can been done to improve the quality of life for people in the City of New Haven. Many of them have been good and many have been implemented. I have personally been a part of the positive change in the city and continue to strive to improve our public safety methods to insure that all Americans are provided the highest quality of public safety.
However, I and others can not do this alone. We need you help. We need you to step up to the plate and be apart of the change you want to see. Maybe you are a parent and have a son or daughter 21 years or older who would want an exciting career. You may be in the middle of switching your career and are looking for something more meaningful. Or, maybe you are tired of just talking about the issues and have decided it is time to take action.
Be apart of our team. “Team Work makes the Dream Work!”
From the City of New Haven Website:
Ideal Applicants Will Have:
- A history of community service.
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent communication skills in Spanish; familiarity with or ability to learn more than one language highly desirable.
- Mature and innovative approaches to collaborating with citizens on neighborhood issues;
- New Haven residency.
- Community/technical college or university background and/or significant work experience.
- Computer proficiency.
- Respect for and ability to work well with colleagues and citizens regardless of race/ethnicity, gender, age, or personal beliefs.
- Enthusiasm for hard and rewarding work.
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to work under stress.
Minimum Requirements Are:
- Twenty-one (21) years of age by Dec. 31, 2013 (there is no upper age limit).
- Must have good English written and verbal skills.
- Must have at least a high school diploma or GED, although additional education and work experience are strongly preferred.
- Must be a born or naturalized U.S. citizen.
- No felony, Class A or B misdemeanor convictions, including convictions involving domestic violence situations.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and have a valid Connecticut license upon graduation from the academy.
- Residence within 20 miles of New Haven upon graduation from the academy.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Comprehensive medical coverage for each officer and his/her family.
- Competitive starting salary.
- Generous twenty-five (25) retirement plan.
- Paid life insurance policy.
- Twelve paid holidays.
- Paid vacation.
- Uniforms and equipment provided.
- University tuition reduction and competitive scholarships available.
About The Academy:
The New Haven Police Academy is located at 710 Sherman Parkway in New Haven. Its program and faculty are fully certified by the Connecticut Police Officer Standards and Training (POST) Council. New recruits attend the academy for approximately seven months, during which time they are paid the New Haven Police Department’s entry level pay for police officers.
Proficiency in a wide variety of subject areas is required, and 80% is the minimum passing grade. The academy training includes a broad range of academic instruction and preparation for a career in police service. Physical agility and chain of command are also taught and monitored regularly. Community field placements, and term projects are also part of the required curriculum.
Rigorous personal and ethical standards are upheld and the ethical, emotional and suitability standards of all students are routinely monitored and evaluated by academy staff. Report cards are issued regularly. Upon successful completion of the academy, graduates continue the probationary process in the Department’s Field Training Officer (FTO) Program for approximately 12 weeks. Probationary officers are matched with a series of experienced FTO’s in a structured teaching and mentoring on-the-job evaluation program.
You Ready NOW-Get Started
Questions Contact: NHPD Sergeant Anthony Campbell 203-946-6309